Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Mah Jongg Memories

Some of my earliest memories include eavesdropping on my mom and her friends, listening to the hypnotic clicking sounds of mah jongg tiles floating from the living room as I drifted off to sleep. Mom will be 88 this September, marking about 70 years since she took up the game. While her memory is fading, her mah jongg skills are still sharp, and she still plays 2-3 times a week. Whenever she tells me she's "ready to go" I remind her of her mah jongg game (and all the grandkids and great grandbabies too, of course), and her eyes light up and she smiles...and looks forward to her week.

Below is a photo taken of me for an article on antiques in the Atlanta Journal. This bakelite mah jongg set caught my eye, so much in fact, that my siblings and I went back the following month and purchased it for our mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment